Bluenumi began with the idea of creating an easy to assemble open-source kit clock that had nixie tube aesthetics, but without the associated cost or potentially dangerous high voltage. The result is a small, functional, and beautiful desktop clock featuring 100% through-hole electronic components that looks like a nixie clock, but can be built at a fraction of the price.
The Bluenumi is available for sale as a kit or in limited quantity pre-assembled on Etsy.
- “Retro” incandescent glowing display, featuring Russian IV-9 numitron tubes
- A DS1307 real time clock with backup battery for accurate timekeeping and alarm memory preservation during loss of power
- Blue LED underlighting for each digit, with pre-programmed fading light patterns
- Programmable alarm
- 12- or 24-hour operating mode with AM/PM indicator light
- Easy display blanking for nighttime use and tube life preservation
- 100% open source hardware and software
- Arduino programming compatibility using standard TTL serial
The firmware source code, parts list, assembly instructions, and schematics for Bluenumi are hosted on Github.